Why do we hate the Brussel Sprout?
It isn’t a secret that Brussel sprouts are one of the top HATED vegetables in the US. A 2008 survey by the Heinz Corporation reveals that Brussel sprouts are the #1 most hated food by Americans. This poor misunderstood vegetable continues to rank amongst the Courtesy of fan pop top 5 hated food and vegetables around the world. Amazingly enough, the Brussel sprout is very high in protein for a green vegetable, and you can meet your needs of Vitamin C and Vitamin K for the day by eating only one serving. With the health-food craze sweeping the nation surely this fact alone will make you want to give them a try! In order to love the Brussel sprout let’s first identify why some of us are programmed to hate it? Then we can look at some recipes to make even the harshest critic a Brussel Sprout fan.
- Bitterness is the #1 reason associated with the dislike of Brussel sprouts.
- 1 lb. Brussel Sprouts, trimmed & halved
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 slices bacon, but into ½ inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 lbs. Brussel sprouts, trimmed & halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste