Maintenance Monday: Electrical Tips & Tricks
Now more than ever electronics and smart systems are filling our homes. While they may be fun, time saving, and beautifying these electronics can cause safety risks and power surges. To keep your Camden home safe and lower maintenance follow these easy tips and tricks regarding your electronics.
Image from Pexels.com
1. Use a surge protector with higher-end electronics. While they look similar, a power strip and a surge protector are not the same so check the label before purchase. When plugging in your computer, entertainment system, and other high-end electrical devices it is best to utilize a surge protector to safe-guard them from power outages. For maximum use find a surge protector with an indicator light that will let you know if the protector is functioning properly.
2. Check the GFI/GCFI if your outlets are not working. Many times if a switch doesn't work, all it takes is pressing the "reset" button found between your plug areas on your outlets. These are often found in the kitchen and bathroom. If you are having frequent problems, let your Camden maintenance team know as it may be a sign of a bigger problem.
Image from Canva.com
3. Dust your light bulbs to reduce burn out. To help your light bulbs shine brighter and last longer, dust them regularly. Make sure the bulb is off while dusting and dust around the base and cord area as well.
4. Avoid covering wires with rugs and furniture. Cords under furniture and rugs are a tripping and fire hazard. Instead consider some of these cord clutter tips or investing in a cord or cable management sleeve.
5. Unplug electronics with heating elements when not in use. Even though your curling iron, straigtener, or even coffee maker are turned off, the electricity is till live. Unplug these to avoid any chance of an unexpected electrical problem. The heating elements can also be in use while off, so unplugging them can make the appliances last longer as well.
Following these tips will help keep your apartment safe, limit maintenance needs, and help you live even more comfortable in your Camden home. You can also learn about a day in the life of our maintenance teams HERE.