Easy DIY Wall Decor - Fabric Panels!
Photo Courtesy of Wear + When
Although my blog, Wear + When, typically focuses on fashion, I have also always had a passion for interior decorating. Luckily for me, my husband has pretty much let me have full reign on this matter in our homes. We have lived in our current home for almost two years, and I have enjoyed every minute of decorating it! One of the biggest challenges I think I face when decorating homes is what to do with large amounts of wall space. I love photos, but it seems like a bit much to do a photo collage on every large wall in my home. When it comes to artwork, I have a hard time finding a piece I love enough to spend the money on it, not to mention it would also have to be the appropriate size. When we were still living in our old home, I discovered the best (and easiest) little DIY trick to dress up large wall spaces. Large Fabric Panels! Or as I call them High Fashion Fabric Panels. This project was definitely a good Pinterest find!
Here's everything you need to make your own Fabric Panels:
- Plywood cut into the size and shape you want (for this project I used two pieces and they just happened to already be the size I needed).
- Interior fabric of your choice (amount will depend on the size and number of pieces you are making)
- A staple gun
- A wall picture hanging wire kit
Once you have your materials, the project is simple!
Here’s how to create your custom Fabric Panels:
1) Just wrap your fabric around the piece of plywood and fold the edges around to the backside of the plywood.
2) Using a staple gun, fasten the fabric to the wood. TIP: Make sure to pull the fabric tight enough from every side before stapling it down, so that it doesn’t ripple anywhere on the front side. You may need a buddy!
3) Once you have your fabric completely attached to the plywood, all you need to do now is attach picture hanging wire to the backside and hang on your wall!
I chose to do two pieces to frame our media stand in our family room, however, this project is so versatile that you could add it to any room in an apartment or even in an outdoor space. Living in Houston, TX, I got this fabric from High Fashion Home. I love their selection of fabrics because they are nice, high quality fabrics and have plenty of modern choices. I love to decorate with neutral colors, (most of our house is gray/taupe with some black thrown in) so I wanted to stick with the same color palette when choosing the fabric. I did want something with an eye-catching pattern though to create a little more visual interest around what would have otherwise been a very plain wall.
About Loren: Loren is a recent addition to our guest bloggers at Simply Camden! She is a fashion blogger with a keen eye for home decor. She lives in Houston, TX with her husband and daughter and her two fur babies. Read more of her Bio here.