Building a patio garden in an urban jungle
When was the last time your hobby made your apartment home more appealing AND healthier? Of course YOU love that melted crayon Pinterest masterpiece on the wall that you are so proud of, but what other projects can you do to make your home both visually and mentally pleasing? Mother Nature has the answer. The great news is you don’t have to ditch your Pinterest addiction (trust me, nobody is judging you) – Here are some gardening ideas, perfect for an apartment home that can kick-start projects or become hobbies that will not only look fantastic in your place but make you FEEL fantastic as well! The art of watching a small seed grow into an actual living object is so amazing, and taking care of your own personal small scale of earth is extremely rewarding. Here are a few reasons you should be gardening on your apartment home patio like, now: Gardening is good for your health Your garden is your personal place of Zen. Here you can reconnect with yourself and also with nature which is known to create:
- Relaxation – The visual of the garden plus the physical connection a person makes while caring and tending to plants "allows people to connect to this primal state," according to James Jiler, the founder and executive director of Urban GreenWorks. Nothing is more calming than feeling at peace with your mind and with nature!
- Attentiveness – According to ‘The Benefits of Gardening and Food Growing for Health and Wellbeing’ written by Garden Organic and Sustain, Gardening definitely “helps to restore people’s directive attention on tasks and thereby improve mental acuity (Berto, 2005)… This has also been expressed as attention restoration theory (ART), which has been studied and reviewed in the cognitive benefits of interacting with nature”
- Fresh, clean Air – As your patio garden matures, you will experience significantly lower stress levels and notice an enhanced sense of creativity; plants naturally extract carbon dioxide (which negatively effects productivity and concentration) and exchanges it with fresh oxygen which actually promotes it!
- Vertical Garden – The best part of having a vertical garden is that it’s very tall so even those who can just see your patio can appreciate the beauty you have created; depending on the placement of your vertical garden, it can save you some extra cash on your electricity bill by serving as a natural sunlight block in front of a large window that is notorious for letting in large amounts of natural light.
- Herb Garden – There is nothing cooler than making a meal for your friends and going outside to pick some fresh herbs to add some pizazz to your dish. Herb gardens are fantastic for the pure reason that not only is it aesthetically pleasing, but it also gives back to you 100%. You don’t just BUY an herb garden, you INVEST in one!
- Vegetable/fruit Garden – Like the Herb garden, this is an excellent way to cut back on grocery bills. Growing your own food is also a great way to be 100% sure where your food is coming from and it will bring you so much satisfaction consuming food that you literally created.