An Affordable Way to Chic Up Your Apartment Home: Accent Walls
My favorite way to add a little flare in your apartment home begins with an Accent Wall. An accent wall is one wall in the room that is painted using a color that differs from the remaining walls. This is not only a great way to showcase your personality, but also a great way to highlight the theme, mood and colors of other accent pieces in your home.
My taste revolves around the idea that less is more. This is why I love accent walls-they allow the simplest of wall decor to create a chic and classy look.
Here are a few tips for color schemes and accent walls that I have learned over the years of apartment living. Let’s begin with….
The 60-30-10 Rule
Start by choosing three colors for the theme of the room. Each color should complement the next.
- Your dominant color should apply to 60 percent of the room (paint, larger pieces & furniture)
- The second color should apply to 30 percent of the room (rugs, lamps, curtains)
- Your final color should apply to 10 percent of the room (accent pieces, small decor, lamp shades).
This will help you focus on a theme, balance your scheme and help narrow use of too many colors. Use this rule for every room.
Choosing Your Colors
- Warm colors will bring the wall toward you-so for these colors (yellows, oranges, reds) you may want to choose a smaller, further wall as it tends to close off the room.
- Cool colors push the wall from your eye- so these are great for the longer, larger walls (light blues, greens, and purples). These colors will open the room and create an effect of more space.
ACCENT WALLS IN THE LIVING AREA
I spend most of my decorating time and budget in the living area. This is usually the area of comfort and living-typically, most of your time is spent here. This is also the area our guests tend to, stay-so it should be warm and welcoming.
In the living area, you can complement the accent wall with:
- Large picture frames
- Fun-print throw pillows
- Sheer or paneled [long] curtains
- Corresponding lamp shades
- Large Area Rug - If your accent wall is a more classic color, i.e., dark brown, you can jazz it up a bit with an animal print or shag-style rug to preserve a classic look with a hint of contemporary.
ACCENT WALLS IN THE BEDROOMS
Due to the majority of the time and budget, I spend in the living area, I tend to go cheaper in the remaining rooms. Perfect when less is more! With an accent wall, you can limit the money spent using the 6-8 method: In addition to the accent wall and comforter, you can dress up the room with 6-8 smaller pieces. Stay in this range, nothing more or less. For my pieces, I use one lamp, throw pillows, curtains, one large photo and two small decor pieces on the chest or drawer. Use the 60-30-10 rule to help sort the color of each piece. You can keep it very simple or you can dress it up, the accent wall will help create the tone.
I hope these tips and tricks will help you add fun color and your personality to your Camden apartment. Need a few other easy decorating ideas? Easy ways to make your balcony lit and 4 ways to make your entryway stand out. will really make your apartment the place to be!