The Impact of a Camden Mentor
Adapting to a new work environment or role can be exciting and overwhelming. New things will need to be learned, relationships will need to be made, and practices will be introduced. Luckily, Camden’s Mentor Program exists so that new hires and promoted employees don’t have to go through it alone. A Camden Mentor will aid the team member in their new role while introducing or continuing Camden's culture.
Why would Camden invest so much in such a program for their employees, you ask? Because the program has a beneficial impact on the Mentee, the Mentor, and Camden. And because Camden believes in hiring motivated people who inspire others, our team collectively works towards putting our customers first, while being who we are and doing our best work.
The two most beneficial things the mentee will encounter are:
- The establishment of relationships: internally and externally that will help the Mentee become confident in their new role as they'll know who and where their resources are.
And because a Camden Mentor is the leader to the new hire’s learning process, they allow the mentee to explore, ask questions, put their lessons into practice, and establish confidence in their new role. Goals and expectations will be laid out for the Mentee, but their input, expectations, and concerns will also be addressed.
Because the assigned mentor is a peer, this allows the new employee to become more engaged and connected to what they’re learning. Mentors reflect on their real experiences, give advice on best practices, show ways we practice Camden’s values, and open the door to new ideas and solutions.
Having the opportunity to be a Mentor allows us to grow personally and professionally; building the foundation for continued success and improving leadership skills. We’re given a new perspective on our existing role with an emphasis of recognition and pride in teaching others. With the opportunity to lead comes the opportunity to inspire those around us and find ourselves inspired in return. Mentoring allows us to learn as much as we teach and collaborate with new minds for fresh ideas and new practices that ultimately inspire us. It’s a rewarding, revolving door.
Camden’s culture becomes stronger as mentors are cultural ambassadors. We seriously have the best of the best. Everyone we hire may not prove to be the best fit and we have turnover like any company. But investing in Mentors leads to higher employee retention and loyalty to Camden because of quality relationships and the positive culture that exists across the company in all ten states.
When you have a program that gives one-on-one training such as the Mentor Program, you get more knowledgeable employees that are more effective and efficient; a connected, unified team that makes for happier customers. And at the end of the day, the impact benefits Camden’s botton-line.
So why do we do it?
Why do we choose to become Mentors?
For a few reasons, really:
• We believe in Camden’s purpose: to improve the lives of our team members, customers, and shareholders, one experience at a time.
• We believe and practice Camden’s values
• We believe that we are one team with one vision: putting our customers first.
• Our Mentor experience as a new hire created a foundation of support and made a big-enough lasting impact on us so much that we want to continue to return the favor
• We want to see our peers succeed
• We agree that the two most important things of being a mentor to a new team member is relationship building and continuation of Camden’s fun-loving culture.
• Having the opportunity to be a leader in one of Fortune Magazine’s Top 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2016, ranking #9, is a privilege that comes with a sense of pride, respect, and recognition across the company
But don’t just read the bullet list of reasons, take it from real Camden Mentor’s themselves and why they choose to be leaders. Take it away, fellow mentors!
"...I recognize the importance of making a new employee feel welcome, appreciated, and excited about their career at Camden; and I would love to be the person to support and encourage them as they begin their new adventure!" - Kenna G.
" I really want to give back to and share all the things I have learned with others that can benefit from it. It really gets people off on the right foot in their career when you have a "go to." Plus, just to see people that you have worked with and helped grow in their career and personally is such a fulfilling experience." - Celina D.