The 12 DIYs of Christmas: Dollar Store Mug Gifts
Photo by Amanda Black
Do you still need last minute Christmas gifts? DIY coffee mugs are your answer! Try this easy, dollar store craft for a quick and inexpensive gift.
This project requires little space, so it’s an especially great craft for apartment living. Simply set up your DIY area on your counter, and you’re ready to go! Each gift will cost you less than $5, so you don’t have to worry about breaking the bank.
All supplies can be purchased at your nearest dollar store. I went to Dollar Tree, since everything (yes, every single item!) is only $1! You can even buy wrapping supplies for these gifts too!
- Nail polish – various colors of your choosing
- Large Tupperware container
- Toothpicks – optional
Follow these simple steps to create your easy DIY gift:
- Fill a large Tupperware container with room temperature water.
- Pour a few drops of nail polish into the water, and let it spread.
- Dip the mug straight down into the water, and pull it up and out quickly.
- Shake off any excess water and hang or set to dry overnight.
- BONUS – for extra crafty creativity, use a Sharpie to personalize each mug.
- Bake the mugs in the oven at 350° for about 30 minutes.
How easy was that? Your friends, family, and coworkers will be amazed at how creative and crafty you are, and you’ll be oh so happy that it didn’t cost as much as your rent. Check out my excited Camden Farmers Market coworkers with their personalized gifts! #CamdenHappy!
Tips & Tricks:
- Experiment - nail polish colors can turn out differently than they look in the bottle, so test shades before dipping your mug. I noticed color and consistency can also affect how the polish spreads in the water.
- Work quickly – the polish will turn into a film on the surface of the water pretty quickly, so be prepared to pour the polish in and dip immediately.
- Swirl the polish – use a toothpick to create a more marbled pattern if you want to use more than one color. If you pour both colors at the same time they will naturally mix, but a toothpick will create more intricate designs.
- Check out this video and this article for some more ideas and suggestions!
Looking for more gift ideas but don't want to DIY? Check out these great gifts that give back!
Cities Atlanta Metro Austin Metro Charlotte Metro DC Maryland Metro DC Metro DC Virginia Metro Dallas/Fort Worth Metro Denver Metro Houston Metro Inland Empire Metro LA/Orange County Metro Orlando Metro Phoenix Metro Raleigh Metro San Diego Metro Southeast Florida Metro Tampa Metro Tags DIY Christmas gifts Dollar Store QUICK & EASY