What Makes Your Home Uniquely You?
Photo Credit : Canva.com and Pexels.com
You have a new place, or even an old place, and you're wanting anyone who enters your home to know that you live there. So how would you go about making your apartment uniquely you? Here are five simple things you can do to really make sure your personality shines through in your apartment home.
1. Pick furniture that defines your style.
Think about your style. Are you into vintage, modern, mid-century, traditional? Are you into a little bit of all of these? Whatever your style, when shopping for furniture, make sure you are picking pieces that you relate to. That basically say, "hi, I belong with you and where have you been all my life." These pieces do exist. You will know what I am talking about when you find that special piece. Whether it is a sofa, desk, chair...you will just know. It will call to you. There are a lot of places to find unique pieces of furniture no matter what your budget. Here a few to get you started:
- Your local flea market - Let me tell you a little secret. You can find incredible finds at a flea market. Some pieces may be ready for use right away but others may need some TLC. If you are a person who can see beyond some scuffs and bruising and have watched enough HGTV and DIY Network shows to know you can handle doing a little furniture rehab - this place is your golden ticket.
- Joybird - At Joybird, you can actually custom make your furniture. Mic. Drop. It is on the higher side of pricing but you can make a piece of furniture that no one else will have and it will last a lifetime.
- Joss & Main - Joss & Main is awesome. You do have to sign up but every item is significantly marked down. Wayfair is another site with the same concept. You'll have to forgive me. Now that you know, you will become addicted, and I'm sorry.
- Anthropologie - This place. This place is my mecca. I'm one of those champagne tastes on a beer budget kind of people. But if you have the funds, you cannot go wrong here. Their furniture is stunning.
- Ikea - This place is fantastic. It has a workable price point for everyone and plus, when you're done spending money, you can go get some Swedish Meatballs. Can't beat that with a stick. Furniture and meatballs. That's quite a rock star combo.
- Local little shops and antique stores - Just pop into Google terms like antique shops and local furniture stores and see what you get. I bet you find some awesome little places you didn't know existed.
2. Fill space with the little things.
Everything in between, that accents the space, matters, too. From throw pillows, blankets and lamps to knick knacks, coffee table items and kitchen countertop pieces . All of it is meaningful. If I may, just for a moment, focus on throw pillows. One of the best places to get throw pillows is Etsy. (Shameless plug ahead) My personal favorite and go-to shop is Finch and Cotter. You can pick the most fabulous, personalized designs. As for your little here and there items for all over your home, two of my personal favorites are World Market and Pier One Imports. Even Target is a great one. I'm not even going to mention how much of my paychecks go to Target.
3. Dress your walls.
You can put anything on your walls. Artwork, marquee letters, tapestries, animal heads (like above), tile art, vintage posters and ads. Really just about anything, if you think about it, can go on a wall and make you feel that zsa zsa zsu. Walls are not meant to be bland, bare and boring. Make them bold, distinctive and daring. Don't be afraid.
4. Paint your walls.
Note to self: Make sure you are allowed to paint first. Check with your leasing office or landlord if you are in a rental. If you are allowed, you may proceed. Painting can be a great way to not only add color but character. And don't think the only thing you can do with paint is paint a wall a solid color. If you have the patience and determination, paint a pattern. Google painted patterned wall and see what comes up. It will blow your mind. Your home is your canvas. The things you can do with paint - oh me oh my.
5. Place personal photos all around your home.
What is more personal than photos of your amazing life? Absolutely nothing. Grab some frames and pop photos in them. Place them on desks, tv stands, coffee tables...wherever. You can create your own gallery wall of photos, print photos on canvas wraps, make a Polaroid photo wall or do one or more of a million other ideas. One of my favorite quotes of all times was spoken by photographer, Marc Riboud. He said, "Taking pictures is savoring life intensely, every hundredth of a second." So true.
Here is a parting thought. When you are decorating your Camden apartment, you are only limited by your own imagination. So have fun with it. You have the inside of your apartment covered, but what about your balcony? These three tips to decorate your balcony will make it the place to hang out!
(P.S. I'd love to see what cool decor you've got in your place or an awesome idea you've done in your place - so post a photo or share your idea in the comments section.)