A Timeless Holiday Treat: Vanilla Rum Cake
Photo by James Besser on Unsplash and edited in Canva
How many Friendsgiving invites are pending on your Facebook page right now? How many texts from family members asking what you’ll be bringing along to the next holiday shindig? If you want to wow everyone from your 8-year-old cousin who won’t eat anything to your 90-year-old great aunt who thinks gluten is myth, go for this classic Vanilla Rum Cake.
It’s an incredibly easy recipe that was given to me by my mom and was given to her by a coworker and friend she met at one of her first jobs. When she sent me the recipe and I saw it had been originally typed up on a typewriter, I knew I was in for a treat. A big pro of this recipe is how easy it is to make in an apartment setting, it requires very little counter space and no extra appliances. Just you and your ingredients making your apartment home smell like vanilla heaven! It can be intimidating to cook for big groups but this recipe can be made in any kitchen from an intimate studio apartment to a sprawling townhome. I was lucky enough to spread out my ingredients on my gorgeous kitchen island at Camden Fourth Ward and from there it was as easy as could be.
What ingredients you will need for the cake:
- 1 Butter Yellow Cake Mix
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Package of instant Vanilla Pudding
- ½ Cup Light Rum (I used dark rum because I love it and it still worked great!)
- ½ Water
- ½ Wesson/Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Chopped Pecans (optional)
P.S. If you want to go all out for the sweet tooth’s in your group, replace the Yellow Butter Cake with Devil’s Food Cake and the Vanilla Pudding with Chocolate Pudding for a Chocolate Rum Cake.
What ingredients you will need for the sauce:
- 1 Stick of butter
- ¼ Cup of Rum (same one you use in the cake!)
- ¼ Cup of Water
- ¾ Cup of Sugar
How to make this fabulous Vanilla Rum Cake:
- Butter/grease/spray the bundt pan like your life depends on it. The first time I made this cake the top stuck to the pan and I was so disappointed!
- If you want to use the pecans, sprinkle them into the bottom of your well-greased bundt pan. They are meant to be a topping for decoration and a little crunch but aren’t necessary for the recipe to be a success.
- Mix up your cake mix, eggs, pudding mix, rum, water and oil. Pour it all into your bundt pan over the pecans.
- Bake for 60 minutes in a 325-degree oven.
- When you have ten minutes left on your oven, start prepping your sauce. Heat all the ingredients over medium heat until the butter fully melts and the sugar dissolves.
- When your cake comes out of the oven, immediately spoon the sauce down the sides of the bundt pan and on top of your cake.
- Let it all sit and soak up the goodness for at least 30 minutes. Then flip onto a serving dish for an amazing presentation. Check out my two most recent attempts below: A Vanilla Rum Cake with crushed pecans and a Chocolate Rum Cake with whole pecans.
It’s best served warm and stays yummy for at least a week. Enjoy it with a cup of coffee if you really want to go all out.
Your Camden apartment home will smell amazing with the warm vanilla floating in the air and your guests, friends and family will all want a second slice of this classic cake.
Cities Atlanta Metro Austin Metro Charlotte Metro Corpus Christi Metro DC Maryland Metro DC Metro DC Virginia Metro Dallas/Fort Worth Metro Denver Metro Houston Metro Inland Empire Metro LA/Orange County Metro Orlando Metro Phoenix Metro Raleigh Metro San Diego Metro Southeast Florida Metro Tampa Metro Tags vanilla rum cake baking bundt cake cooking Dessert baking Holiday desserts