Shop Local Saturday: 15 Houston Shops for Your Gift Buying Needs
Thanksgiving is drawing near and it is time to start thinking about holiday shopping. This year rather than facing the crowds and chaos of Black Friday take advantage of “Shop Local Saturday” and support some local Houston businesses. Below are 15 Houston shops to scope out to find that perfect gift for everyone on your list.
For The Kids on Your List
Photo Courtesy of Houston CultureMap
- Big Bluie Whale: This heights toy shop has a vintage feel and a great book selection. The shop has a well curated mix of retro toys, locally made toys and crafts, and the latest must-haves. The staff is very helpful if you aren’t sure what toy would be best. All in all Big Blue Whale is the shop to find unique gifts for kids that have it all.
- Fundamentally Toys: This Rice Village store has been around for over two decades and specializes in unique educational toys for all age ranges. Their toy selection is based on the philosophy that toys should always be fun, but should also be learning tools.. Their educational toys will definitely make for gifts that parents are glad you’ve given.
- Asgard Games: One of Houston’s best independent game shops is perfect for finding all sorts of new board and tabletop games for the kids and kids-at-heart on your list. Asgard has a huge, well organized selection of games and helpful, knowledgeable staff that can point you in the right direction.
- Nan's Games and Comics: If you have a comic book fan or novelty toy fan on your list look no further than Nan’s Games and Comics. The shop is a little less organized than Asgard, but the staff is just as helpful and the collection worth digging through.
- Brazos Book Store: This book store in West U has been around for over forty years and is practically a Houston institution. The shop has a great selection of books for kids and adults alike. Another perk is that on Small Buisiness Saturday (11/26) from 2PM-6PM the store will have complimentary champagne, beer, and coffee while you browse.
For The Grown Ups on Your List
Photo Courtesy of Houston Chronicle
- Houston Wine Merchant (wine and spirits shop): My favorite wine shop in Houston, it’sa great stop to shop for all the wine and booze lovers in your life. Houston Wine Merchant has been in Houston since 1984 and the staff is exceptional in helping select wine at any price point that is guaranteed to be a hit. The store also carries quality liquor and liquors to please any at-home-mixologists in your life.
- Man Ready Mercantile (men’s clothing and accessory shop): With a variety of clothes, accessories, and more rugged home goods and wares Man Ready Mercantile is a one-stop shop for the men on your list.
- The Class Room (men’s clothing boutique): This boutique in West U lives up to its name with staff always willing to answer any questions and really educate you on styling men. They are a hug help in finding higher quality pieces that will fit every guy’s sense of style and personality.
- Reserve Supply Company (men’s clothing and accessory shop): Along with men’s clothing and accessories Reserve Supply Co. carries skate, bike, and motorcycle gear. The store carries brands known for high quality craftsmanship such as Red Wing, Tellason, and more.
- Cotton Club (women’s clothing and jewelry boutique): Cotton Club is woman’s clothing and accessory boutique in Highland Village area that sells high quality basics. If you aren’t sure what to get your mom or sister this boutique has basic wardrobe staples anyone can use.
Photo Courtesy of 365 Houston
- WildBloom (women’s clothing and jewelry boutique): WildBloom in Rice Village is a less expensive, locally owned boutique in Rice Villag. The majority of their clothes and jewelry are under $100 perfect for the more budget friendly shopper.
- Myth+Symbol (women’s clothing and home goods boutique): This West U boutique has clothing, accessories, and home goods that are all responsibly sourced. The shop carries harder to find, independent designers which ensures gifts purchased here are unique.
- Area (home good and antique store): Area specializes in smaller home goods, antiques, and décor. The shop is constantly rotating inventory so each visit is guaranteed to have something different to peruse.
- Balinskas Architectural Imports (exotic imported home goods): The owners of this shop are art and travel enthusiasts that hand select each piece in their store. If you’re looking for unique gifts with history and an exotic flare this import store is the perfect stop.
- Biscuit (home goods and gifts): You may be familiar with the ever photographed “Biscuit Wall” in Montrose, but you may not have noticed the fabulous home goods and gift store attached to it. Biscuit is set up as many fully decorated rooms that contain everything from bedding to bar carts to stuffed animals and everything in between. It is a great place to pick up all sorts of gift items and get some great home décor ideas as well.