Wanting to Find a Furry Roommate?
Photo taken by Yousra Hassanein
Finding the perfect new pet for you or your family can be tough. We love our furry residents at Camden too! Let us help you with the steps of finding your new furry friend, and then what to do when you have finally made the decision.
First, you need to decide if you want to adopt or buy from a breeder. There are many advantages to both:
- Giving a loving pet a well needed home
- You have just drastically improved their quality of life
- Saving a life; they know you just saved their life from the unknowing
- Up to date vaccinations upon adoption
- Spayed/neutered when or before adopting
- Lower cost than buying from a breeder
- You can get a puppy (or kitten), young, adult, or senior pet
Benefits of buying from a breeder:
- You know the breed of your new pet
- A health guarantee that your new pet is free from inheritable diseases and conditions
- A mentor with that breeder who knows and loves the breed for any questions or advice
- Knowing the size and weight your pet will become
- You can meet the puppy’s parents to know how yours will turn out
- First grooming given before going home at 8 weeks old
- Usually a goodie bag with recommended food, and other goodies to get you started
Whichever route you decide to go, just make sure to do your research. I have adopted and have gone with a breeder, and in each case, I have put in the research. My personal breed of choice is the miniature schnauzer, so I found out years ago there were rescue groups just for miniature schnauzers! I found Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston, Schnauzer Rescue of Texas, and Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of North Texas are the breed specific rescue groups I keep in touch with for future possibilities. If you really want to rescue but want a specific breed, there are many breed specific rescue groups! Just go to Google to find out!
Houston also has great rescue groups which have so many loving animals who need homes such as K-9 Angels Rescue, Houston SPCA, Citizens for Animal Protection, BARC, Friends for Life, Houston Pets Alive!, S.A.V.E. Rescue Coalition, Forgotten Pet Advocates, and Houston Homeless Pet Project, just to name a few, and of course your local Humane Society. Just get out there and look to see if you can make a connection!
After you have found your new fur-buddy, just follow these simple steps below to ensure you and your new pet are prepared and know all the great perks Camden can offer the two of you on your new journey together. Give us a call! We’ll be happy to tell you which communities in your area have dog parks, pet washing stations, and more about the area!
Next month we'll give you ideas on what you need for your new furry friend once you bring him or her home, but until then we have tons of other great tips and ideas for you and your pets! How To Find Your Perfect Rescue Dog has great tips to help you find your new rescue pet and Be Prepared: Pet Addition has great tips to be prepared for your new pet in case of an emergency situation! So be sure to check those out and all our many other great blogs!