Camden Shady Grove is Proud to be LEED CERTIFIED
Image created by Camden
Camden is passionate about the health of our planet and proudly promotes sustainable and environmentally responsible communities. We believe reducing our impact on the environment translates into Living Excellence for all our residents.
In July 2019, the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) awarded Camden Shady Grove LEED CERTIFIED status. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, and is the most widely used green building rating system in the world. Through creative design, carefully monitored construction and diligent sustainable practices Camden Shady Grove was added to Camden’s list of environmentally friendly communities, which also includes Camden Washingtonian.
Camden’s construction and development team are passionate about LEED. Image by Duane Canter.
Here’s how we did it:
- Water Efficient Apartments. Each apartment home has water sense fixtures, which reduced water consumption by 41%. This led to saving 8,070,000 gallons of water in 2018 alone. Additionally, water bills are reduced for all residents. Our irrigation systems also use 50% less water than standard systems.
- Energy Efficient Apartments. Using LED light bulbs, Energy Star rated windows and appliances and high efficiency heat pumps controlled by programmable thermostats, our residents enjoy an average of 24% reduction in energy consumption against baseline. All residents save money on utility bills.
Image from CamdenLiving.com of Capitol Bikeshare stations.
3. Parking Initiatives. Our community has eleven charging stations for residents. Additionally, preferred parking in our parking garage structure is available for low emission vehicles. We encourage the reduction of our carbon footprint by also providing bike racks with a repair station and Capitol Bikeshare stations.
Camden Shady Grove construction progress. Image provided by Duane Canter.
4. Waste Management & Recycling During Construction. During the construction of the building, 81% of all construction waste was diverted to recycling facilities. That amounted to more than 1,300 tons of waste that was not sent to landfills. Materials used in the construction of the building contained over 10% of recycled content. To reduce greenhouse emissions caused by trucking and shipping, over 20% of the materials used were both harvested and manufactured within 500 miles of the community.
Camden's construction team stopping for a photo. Image by Duane Canter.
5. Healthy air Quality. Camden Shady Grove is a smoke free community. Smoking must be at least 25 feet from the outside perimeter of the building. All products used, including paints, floor covering and adhesives had a low volatile organic compounds known as VOCs.
We sincerely hope that our current and future residents will enjoy everything that Camden Shady Grove has to offer and will partner with Camden in pursuit of sustainable living. We believe it is everyone’s responsibility to have an environmental commitment. Are you interested in learning about Camden’s other sustainable communities? Check out Camden Washingtonian.
Cities Atlanta Metro Austin Metro Charlotte Metro Corpus Christi Metro DC Maryland Metro DC Metro DC Virginia Metro Dallas/Fort Worth Metro Denver Metro Houston Metro Inland Empire Metro LA/Orange County Metro Orlando Metro Phoenix Metro Raleigh Metro San Diego Metro Southeast Florida Metro Tampa Metro Tags LEED CERTIFIED sustainable green ecofriendly